View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Team Hello Kitty
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
1,095 Posts
Voltage Regulator pulse load tests

As I mentioned early this month we've been developing a new "pulse load test" that can test regulators with high current pulses from an actual LiFe 2S pack. The goal was to simulate high current demands from digital servos under high flight loads and see how the regulators handle it. The capability is now ready and all tests completed so far have been updated with these results on the Voltage Regulator Tests page on RC Info Share. There is also a new Pulse Test Results Compilation document on the tests page that graphically compares all regulators tested so far.

These pulsed load tests were developed in close collaboration with Mike Wilson who suggested the initial concept and offered circuit suggestions and refinements. Mike deserves a bunch of credit and thank you's for this.

I'm very impressed with how the Greentronic RegSlim unit performed with the high current tests. This unit is the best performer so far. As for my previous favorite the Novak 5A #5465, well it's still not a bad unit but it clearly didn't hold up as well under higher currents.

Back on the RegSlim unit, they are still out of stock everywhere. Anyone know someone who works there? Are they out of business or just taking a looong vacation?

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude