View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Pappy_Pete
Shovel Recovery Expert
Joined Mar 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasIrwin View Post
are the guillows airplane kits able to be used as rc electrics or are the for static display and rubber band power
Depends on the model...the free flight/rc ready ones will list an engine size so you can try and approximate what size electric might work. Some of the for u-line kits I built as a kid (including some sterling and goldberg kits) had airfoil wings while others had flat balsa stock. The package will be marked as "Flying Model Kit" and/or "Multi-Purpose Model"...waaaaay back then, if I recall correctly, radio gear was rather large and heavy so I "think" only the biggest planes were marked "rc ready". Some of the smaller ones were marked as uline/rubber band/or free flight...I had a Folker DR-I that I converted/flew U-line with a .020 "babybee" glow engine....always thought it would be have been fun to "RC" that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedexas View Post
Some people convert some of those planes to RC, but they are not intended to be RC and because of that, are not good for a beginner.
I could see where getting proper CG, balance, etc. would make it challenging...plus being a balsa kit...
pilot error + gravity = dustpan needed for retrieval
Pappy_Pete is offline Find More Posts by Pappy_Pete
Last edited by Pappy_Pete; Mar 22, 2012 at 09:42 AM.