Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
.what thickness of balsa did you order?
I ordered 1/16" .

Thanks Rodger, I will keep the option open to put another layer of 2oz on it.

I had a little bit of 1/16 balsa sheeting laying around so last week I weighed what it would take to sheet half of one wing panel. It looked like about 4.5 oz of balsa sheet. So 9 oz to sheet one wing, 18 oz total. Say maybe 8 oz of glue as a skim coat to apply the sheeting puts it at 26oz to sheet both wings. I weighed the cloth and it is exactly 4 oz per wing so 8 oz of cloth total. Not sure how much to allow for resin but lets say 8oz of resin puts the total weight of sheeting and glassing with 2oz cloth about 42 oz’s or 2.65 pounds.

Just two layers of 5.8 oz cloth over both wings would weight 46.4 oz. if the cloth weighs 5.8 oz per sq yd. as it takes about 1 sq yd per side of each wing panel. Factor in resin and additional layers of 2oz over that and the weight really adds up. After seeing those numbers is when I got online and ordered the sheeting

$46 bucks for the cheap stuff balsa from Tower or If you want to go higher end $86 at some of the finer balsa supliers. So not too bad to sheet a big wing like this.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Mar 20, 2012 at 05:42 PM.