Thread: Question Various prop advice please
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by Markx
Sussex,GB / Azores
Joined Apr 2008
225 Posts
Hello Pescador, that's quite a selection of (expensive) baitboats! They all look like they are meant for lake conditions though.
My plan is to
A) bait fish, which means just going out and dropping up to 4 lines in sea conditions.
For rougher conditions I aim to try a heli heading lock gyro.
For safety it could run back along the line instead of dropping the line completely.
Electric would probably be best for that.

B) Troll a lure or deadbait. There are Baracuda and Bonito Tuna here, plus bigger game fish.
For that I am considering electric with sail. A small-medium sail would aid visibility at distance and be good enough to tow a lure for hours without using much battery juice. Having a sail also means there's a backup if the motor fails or the prop gets clogged.

I'll probably go for the low cost approach, IE use gear that's as cheap as possible, because chances are that the thing will head off into the Atlantic solo. I might still do a grp hull for it these though because I used to do moulding for a living and like the idea of easily being able to knock out replacements.

Obviously the prop has to be shrouded and the hull as snag-free as is possible with a keelweight.
I am in GB presently but getting all the bits together for building the boat/s when we move there this year.
Markx is offline Find More Posts by Markx
Last edited by Markx; Mar 16, 2012 at 05:52 AM.