Well, finally the weather and my free time decided to cooperate and I
maidened the new Skywalker.
First flight was a half disaster, my GPS was unhooked (how did I not
notice?!) the AHI was not functioning correctly, I had FBW on and all my
control surfaces were handicapped. As a result my control sucked. The plane
was also way too nose heavy. Here it is:
Second flight was better but the CG was still off, but that didn't stop me
from flying a little longer to see how it flies.
Third flight was much better and I got the CG a lot closer but it still needs to
be dialed in. The wind started gusting hard otherwise I would have spent a lot
more time in the air then I did.
There are still other problems to suss out. I was getting hit with random
video interference dropouts and I have no idea why. The nose needs to be
painted or colored black because the glare really did a number on my camera.
And my camera sucks. It's been through too many crashes and the focus is
all messed up, the lens is a little scratched, and the firmware is really
beginning to piss me off. The quality from some of the first flights I had with
it compared to now is stunning, and that was when it was recorded with a
horrible easycap usb on a netbook!
Anyways, I ended up with a CG so far back I don't even want to say. But I
haven't actually measured exactly
where it was I'd say somewhere
around 60 mm from the servo wire slots under the wing. Oh well. Further
testing will tell if that's really
where it wants to be. Or maybe I'm just
crazy. Next time I go out I'll put it in a 45 degree dive and see how it
Oh yeah, and the takeoff dolly I made I tried once. Didn't track straight so I
just gave up and handlaunched it. Turns out that my fears of handlaunching
the 2.65kg plane were unfounded. Handlaunched easily.