Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
Beating air into submission!
Australia, NSW, Vaucluse
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Discussion
Cessna 400

I am also working on a Cessna 400 I purchased from HobbyKing in Sydney. Opening the box revealed that this is another FMS model with the usual series of very poor and very small black and white photos in the manual for instructions. This really is not good enough and these manufacturers need to get the English Language instruction manuals up to a much higher standard than what they are supplying with their kits now.

When I removed the horizontal stabiliser from the packaging the elevator hinge failed and the elevator just fell off! Great build quality FMS. So I installed pin hinges and inspected all the other foam control surface hinges. They were ok.

Just like the Cessna 350 the 400 Corvallis just bolts together. Just be careful that everything lines up straight and after installing a Spektrum receiver and binding it to my DX8, I thought it would be a good idea to install the optional flaps. This involved cutting the flaps away from the trailing edge of the wings, installing the hinges, control horns, servos and pushrods. Feeding the servo wires through the wing channels available and configuring the flap system on the radio.

I set the C of G exactly as indicated in the manual but the maiden flight proved that this was a little too far aft. So I have been experimenting with the position of balance by taping coins to the cowl. So far I have tried 20 cents and 40 cents and it still needs to be further forward. Most probably needs about 90 cents to get it right.

The Cessna 400 fits easily in the back of my car fully assembled for the trips to and from the field. A big bonus in my opinion.

The maiden flight the Cessna 400 did not leave the ground, after hitting a tuff blade of grass on the runway the rudder servo striped and was totally useless. I replaced this servo with a Turnigy 90s servo that fitted without any problems. The 90s has metal gears and a lot of torque.

The next day the 400 was flying at the field and apart from a rearward C of G it flew very well and the flaps are very effective at slowing the model and allowing steep short field approaches and landings. The model has plenty of power and a good turn of speed. It looks very scale like in the air and it is a lot of fun to fly.

However, after the fourth flight the nose wheel pushrod bent after a fast landing roll out. I have replaced this pushrod with 3mm piano wire. This seems to be working ok at the moment.

Went out flying on Tuesday morning (28/2/12). expeimenting with the C of G location. I found that my 400 flies very well with the C of G set at 60mm from the Leading Edge of the wings.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GrahamWilson; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:09 PM.