Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by Knoll53
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
3,245 Posts
PU test

Thanks for the comments.

My thought with using PU glue is that it is expanding glue and as such will fill tiny voids and completely bond the skins, even without a perfect press job. I did 2 panels. One with all dry components and one with dampened surfaces. The water really kicks the PU into high gear for super gap filling.

Results were a little surprising. The wet one "walked". A few well placed pins or blocks could have restrained it, but the dry one worked well, so there is no need to go damp.

The pressing method used left some gaps in the skin. But those gaps were fully bonded due to the expanding glue.

The TE was laid up with same PU glue as used for the skins to core. No pre-sanding for this test. It bonded well and it sanded out well. Some thing of an external bevel.

I'll do another "proper" mock up.

Stuart: You noticed my tube steel bow. Seemed like a good idea. Easy for me to build. I simply strung it up with wire and put the juice to it. Then I noticed something odd. The wire was glowing red hot outside of the electrical clips. So the lesson here is that the bow must not be an electrical conductor, or it will short circuit the hot wire. That first bottom cut was a fiasco. I'm back with the wooden bow. It is shown below the last shot in post #54.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
Last edited by Knoll53; Feb 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM.