Find More Posts by Thermaler
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,458 Posts
The good ol' Wander 72 and a Rubber Duckie

Soaring News April 1979

Jim Gray shares more.

The good ol' Wander, I still have and fly mine although the rudder is the only original part any more. A lot of dumb thumbs teaching myself to fly with it at a school football field taken over by soccer.
Corpus Christie school was on the back side of a park who's name I can not remember. The park was about 40' higher than the field with a mound in the corner another 15' up.
I tossed that Wanderer off that mound a million times before I found a larger field at Mary Frank School. Got myself a high start and started letting it rip. That first incarnation lasted long enough to get an Oly II built.
I would hit that field every chance I got, then stop at the LHS to get repair materials. They told me that there was a guy flying sailplanes at Red Hen Turf Farm. The routine became drive by the turf farm, nobody there, go to the school and fly, stop by the turf farm again. Did that for a good three months.
One time I was slow getting out and there was this guy sitting under the hatch of his Ford Esort wagon staring up at the sky with a Tx in his hand.
I introduced myself and that began a 20 year friendship with Conrad "Tiz" Lesch. Tiz taught me enough to get me interested in contest, so that summer I entered my first one where I got the lesson that only a timer can give a rooky. "why didn't you turn there?", "Where?", "Where your wingtip got a bump, turn to the rising wingtip dummy!" Picture to prove that win at my first contest, thank you Dad.
I have meet several great people through those years at the sod farm, Richard Sorenson, Dave Hauch, Jim Deck, Jack Strother, Bob Burson, Steve Boone and Steve Bailey.
I have this picture and the Falcon 880 Tiz gave me after I broke it. I have Dave's Victor, the only plane that the Falcon didn't get the best of at least once of all the planes that have been to the sod farm on the days the Falcon was out hunting. If you can't beat it buy it.
We have lost the farm to row crops, Tiz to the good Lord and Dave is into motorcycles now. Richard just faded away.
I miss all you guys, those of us still kicking and flying are going to have to find a place to fly together again.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler