Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Here's a Google Earth link to the site. Where the cultivated fields end, there is a 500' sheer bluff going straight up to the dirt road at the top next to the edge. Absolutely beautiful view out over those fields to the sand dunes and ocean beyond, but it's south facing and the wind is normally from north/west, sometimes even blowing straight away from the mesa. In the fall/early winter though it rocks, as storms usually come straight in from the south. Never had so much fun crashing planes in my life, (it develops a wicked rotor 20' back from the lip; a real plane killer in 30+ winds), but when flying a dedicated slope plane it's a blast. I might try the RP there no matter where the wind is because I can motor back if needed, but for a non-powered sailplane that can become an issue because if you loose lift and end up at the bottom, you have to drive back around and down the mesa through the fields below to retrieve your plane, (you'd need climbing ropes to go down the bluff). I'll report back, I gotta go there anyway, so I may as well try.

Sonny
Your winds look North-Northeast for tomorrow. If you had our wind forecast you'd be in great shape, southerly 15-20.
Neat flying location for sure.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks