Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by turnerm
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post

I've had two beast 3Ds - the first had the flutter really bad above 75% throttle, and it was very crash prone. Dont ignore it (I know, you are not )

I didnt find the culprit before it was totaled.

Beast 3D #2 unfortunately I flew into a tree (ouch), and wound up putting a wing kit on it. Before I flew it again, I went over it with a FINE tooth comb, and found that I had a lot of wing slop too. Turned out that the control horns were not seated firmly into the ailerons, which allowed them to rock in place. It was hard to see intially becuase they worked "fine"... but if I touched them at all, they moved without the servo moving.

A drop of Foam Safe CA and kicker set them firmly, and they are now solid as a rock. The plane flies like its on rails now - better than Beast #1 by a LONG shot.

Hope that helps...

jc
Good to know about the loose aileron horns. I'm also experiencing some significant wing flutter so I was getting ready to start trying to figure out why. I'll check this first.

BUT... I also noticed that the wing that's fluttering (only one of them does it on mine) has a servo which appears to be over-active. I'm not sure if it's the servo, the board, a loose control horn, or something else. I guess I need to start looking into it.

It's never even come close to making me crash - just has a lot of flutter. It's especailly noticeable in KE flight.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm