View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by nute53
Joined Jan 2010
171 Posts
ZYX Static Demonstration

I just made a short video to demonstrate the problem I was having with static discharge on one of my ZYX fbl gyro units running on a HK 450 Pro with belt tail.metal boom. First part of video shows without a grounding wire- the tail servo & cyclic servo's are twitching as I run it up,& when I touch the ZYX unit plastic case top-the swash goes left & back by itself.
Second sequence shows a thin (temporary for now) copper grounding wire going from tail box,wrapped around boom support brackets,& going to the front frame boom metal brackets. The unit is very stable as throttle is increased,& holds position on all servo's.Touching the ZYX case or frame has no effect. However,when I remove the grounding wire,the unit once again becomes unstable,& touching the case again makes the cyclic servo's go full left & back.
I will make a more perminent grounding wire setup later,but just wanted to demonstrate the glitching I was having. Weather is very dry currently,maybe 20% humidity,& probably is contributing to the static effects.
Last portion of video shows heli flying about a month ago,same exact setup (no grounding wire at the time) & was steady as a rock & very stable. The tail twitch only showed up recently last week during a session. Hopefully,adding the grounding wire will solve any future problems with static discharge affecting the gyro.

ZYX Gyro Static Test.wmv (6 min 25 sec)
nute53 is offline Find More Posts by nute53