Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by ShaneXman
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
Will this canopy be more durable than the stock one?
Yes, this canopy will be more durable than the stock one, and it will also be more resilient to cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Will they fit the Walkera Genius? It really needs a better canopy.
Unfortunately, no. These canopies are specifically designed for the mCP X frame. The Genius and Mini CP both have a much lower stance and resting height, so they will require an entirely different design.

If all goes well, we will expand into different styles and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInMyrtleBch View Post
Wow! Nice!

I have a few questions:

What is it made of? Will the pactra style paints bond well with it? What would we use to clean them before painting?

You mention in the video that grommets aren't required if the canopy pin holes are small enough... I see the potential for vibration issues with high power brushless mods if you go this route.

If pactra or tamiya paints will bond with the material, I'm in for 2

Thanks for all the hard work. It's really paid off!!
The current canopies are being made with PETG, but we plan to continue exploring other plastics such as HDPE and polycarbonate/lexan.

Although we've never used Pactra style paints specifically, from what I have read, Pactra is specifically formulated to bond with lexan so it should work great. Right now we use Krylon Fusion and it works great.

Prep is just a matter of washing with dish soap to remove any grease, dirt or impurities, but be sure to rinse the soap off thoroughly. If you wanted to take it one step further, you can lightly sand the painting surface with 400 grit sandpaper. This will give the plastic a light haze, and give the paint a bit more "bite"...and the end result will be a high gloss durable finish.

Regarding your vibration question, we have yet to see ANY vibration issues whatsoever. These canopies were designed to fit snuggly against the battery tray and landing gear to avoid any unwanted feedback or vibration.

Here are a few 3D videos with the canopy installed...

Mcpx Bathroom Flight (2 min 0 sec)

Brushless mcpx warehouse flight (3 min 2 sec)

-Shane
ShaneXman is online now Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member