Find More Posts by yyz
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
John,

My feeling is that the sailplane should be completely in the control of the pilot and that the pilot must maintain visual contact. That would not preclude GPS data transmitted back to the pilot showing graphical info on location of the sailplane over terrain, etc. Any data such as air speed, GPS location, altitude is fine. The big problem is when tech becomes available for a reasonable price that allows us to fly a sailplane like the Autonomous team did, in other words, autopilot. That should not be allowed as it takes pilot skill out of the equation and basically a computer becomes the pilot. I still think that the 100K pin awarded to the autonomous team should have an "asterisk" assigned as it was basically a computer that flew that flight, not a human.

Steve
Well said. This would be my vote as well. This is clear, concise and would be a good start for writing the rules for both XC and GPS Triangle racing.

Having echoed Steve:

1. Autopilot - A device that completely controls the aircraft
No

2. Airspeed control - A device that controls the airspeed
No

3. Gyro stabilizer- A gyroscopic device the helps stabilize the aircraft by controlling on or more control surfaces
No

4. Video telemetry
No

5. GPS telemetry
Yes

6. Airspeed telemetry
Yes

7. Vertical speed telemetry (Vario)
Yes

8. Altitude telemetry
Yes

9. Flight computer in chase vehicle to assist the pilot in utilizing any of the above telemetry.
Yes

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz