Thread: Discussion Wendell Hostetler Skybolt
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Barf
Joined Apr 2007
83 Posts
Wendell Hostetler Skybolt

Its been almost three years ago since I bought this almost finished Skybolt. The plane is built from a drawing of Wendell Hostetler. The wingspan 196 cm and flight ready weight will be close to 10 Kg. The plane was intended for a 50 ccm petrol engine. Since most of my planes are electric, I wanted to use an electric engine for this one too. So, I converted it to electric using an Actro 60-200 and a Jeti Spin 99 Opto as a replacement for the petrol engine.

Since I have a few (way too many) flight ready airplanes in my hangar, this project has been a slow one. But, the plane is now almost ready; I just need to paint the cowling and the wheelpants and mount the windscreen.

A few days ago I mounted the propeller (22x12) and finished the wiring from the ESC to the engine. Then I just had to try the set-up
I used two Turnigy 5s 5000 mAh in a 10s set-up. According to the e-flite meter this set-up gave me 2400W and the Amp draw was 65A. I hooked up a digital luggage weight and measured just a bit over 8 Kg of thrust. The propeller in the picture is not the one I used, I used a Turnigy type E cherry wood 22x12 propeller.

When the dust had settled and I was able to take a look around, I found that the carpet was lying up against the wall, everything on the wall behind me had blown away and were scattered around in the room This first test is promising

I was thinking of get a bigger propeller, maybe a 24x12 or just buy two 6s nanotech batteries to try a 12s set-up. I donít know if itís necessary, but I would like to have about 10 Kg of thrust. Itís a question of flight-time as well, since I feel that 5 minutes is a little too short, I would like to have about 10 minutes. I was hoping that I could achieve this by using only two batteries; otherwise Iím afraid that the weight of the batteries will be too much since I have placed the batteries right behind the engine Ė in the engine box. Itís done this way to have an easy access and a smooth battery shift.

Thanks Jocke, for all good advices, feedback and tips and hints, Iím now just waiting for the spring and in the meanwhile Iím going to paint the cowling and the wheelpants

Best regards
Are
Sir Barf is offline Find More Posts by Sir Barf