Thread: Discussion Marblehead Racing
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by gio06226
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Carbon cloth is not as expensive as you think. When I built my Carbon Hull 16 US1M, I used 1/2 yard of carbon cloth.(carbon 5oz cloth is around $30/yard). The labor is the same. Decks on a competetive US1M are monocoat, which is very inexpensive.

I'm not saying you can't build an IOM for cheap, you can. But I am talking a competetive IOM. You can build a lightweight US1M able to compete at the highest level for cheaper than you can a "top level" IOM.

Some of the top level European IOM's assembled are between 3-6K............A Venom assembled was never 3-6K even in todays money.

And even if they were exactly the same price to build or fully built, you still are comparing a fiberglass boat with an aluminum mast that weighs 8 lbs, versus an all carbon/kevlar boat with a carbon mast that weighs 5.5lbs.
Yeah I'm still comparing a fiberglass boat with an aluminum mast that weighs 8 lbs, that it's faster than an all carbon/kevlar boat with a carbon mast that weighs 5.5lbs. in all but the lightest wind conditions ...... (you live in NE right? Ask Greg V -if he still sails, or Jim L. about that)
That's absolutely NOT the point!
If you can build a competitive USOM, you can build a competitive IOM (or M, or Star ....). There is no difference whatsoever in building techniques or material for that matter (yes, in one you may use CF in the hull - you still have to build a mold btw, but it will also work perfectly well with balsa and fg and you work with cf in the same way you work with fg so if you can do one you can do the other, the material may be "space-age" but the building methods, as well as the boat design theory behind the hull and appendages are the same).
You can pay a small fee (nowhere near the 6k) and get a modern IOM design plan from a series of proven designers to build (Brad Gibson SKA plan is less than 6 pounds), or there are some freebies to download too and what makes those free hulls competitive, as well as the professionally build expensive ones it's the (best) skipper that sails them not the design year or building materials......

If you want to build, and be competitive you can, especially if you are sailing regionally or in club races only, obviously you have to be a good builder and a good sailor (look a Michael Scharming in Germany), and granted those persons are the exception and not the rule, even among the USOM sailors judging by the amount of home-made boats vs professionally build ones in national championships regattas..... . And higher up you want to compete the better sailor you have to be, especially when you compete on a global scale, but it is possible to be competitive with a completely home-build IOM, in the same way there are competitive sailors with home-build USOM or Stars or M ...... Just think about it the first Brit POP - that won quite a lot around the globe in 2010 that was a home build boat, granted Gibson would be competitive with a 2x4 with sails...... but it was a home build.
And again I said "it's possible" the fact that most IOM sailors prefer to spend "a lot of money" upfront for a ready to sail boat it's a different issue.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Last edited by gio06226; Feb 14, 2012 at 05:46 PM.