View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by seefest
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226 View Post
You can home build an IOM slightly cheaper that you can home build a higher tech (CF) USOM, (just think about the cost of CF versus the cost of balsa or pine). IOM's are expensive not because of their popularity (although there is always the offer vs demand issue), but because you (you as customer) are paying someone else to build you a boat, you are paying his time and skills, not technology. Groovy masts need to be made, but if you by a round mast you don't spend that much more than a pultruded carbon kite spar, same if you buy a tapered mast from Ken Bauser instead of mass produced cf spar, you will pay more, but not because of the technology, but because someone had to make that spar just for you . A ready to sail kevlar venom had more or less the same price of a ready to sail fg IOM, or think about what you pay for a fully assembled and professionally painted Victoria or CR914 (600 +) .......
Carbon cloth is not as expensive as you think. When I built my Carbon Hull 16 US1M, I used 1/2 yard of carbon cloth.(carbon 5oz cloth is around $30/yard). The labor is the same. Decks on a competetive US1M are monocoat, which is very inexpensive.

I'm not saying you can't build an IOM for cheap, you can. But I am talking a competetive IOM. You can build a lightweight US1M able to compete at the highest level for cheaper than you can a "top level" IOM.

Some of the top level European IOM's assembled are between 3-6K............A Venom assembled was never 3-6K even in todays money.

And even if they were exactly the same price to build or fully built, you still are comparing a fiberglass boat with an aluminum mast that weighs 8 lbs, versus an all carbon/kevlar boat with a carbon mast that weighs 5.5lbs.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest