Thread: Build Log Popfly 2 Night Flyer
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
mopar_man is offline
Find More Posts by mopar_man
Terry Dunn
mopar_man's Avatar
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
972 Posts
My on-board gear showed up Thursday...most of it anyway. The Rimfire 200s were on backorder. Hopefully it'll show up in a few days. In the mean time I thought I'd set it up for a Rimfire 250. The 250 is a little bigger and heavier than the 200. More importantly, it is a lower kV (1750 vs 2400 rpm/v). That means I'll need to run a larger prop.

With the stock layout even a 4" prop (what I plan to run on the 200) requires a little trimming of the elevons. Going larger than that requires a little more work. I moved the servos out one rib which will let me cut away more elevon area for prop clearance.

I was toying with the idea of adding a spar as well. Looking though my stash of carbon fiber, I found a small tube that was the perfect length to run between R5 in each panel. That seemed enough like fate that I was convinced to add it.

As I was planning the next few assembly steps in my head, I decided that I would be better off joining the wing panels before adding the top sheeting. This would let me make sure that the spar was properly glued at every rib.

As I write this, the top sheeting is drying, as is the initial strengthening of the motor mount. Next, I'll trim the top sheeting to install the leading edges and battery tray.

Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Last edited by mopar_man; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote