Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by mopar_man
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
972 Posts
Build Log
Popfly 2 Night Flyer

Keith Sparks, the man behind Park Flyer Plastics, is reintroducing the Popfly flying wing as a built-up depron model. For anyone not familiar with the original Popfly, it was a solid-foam indoor/outdoor model that was popular back when brushed motors and nicads were king.

Popfly2 Product Page

When I saw the new version, I thought it would make a great plane for night flying at the park down the street. So this thread will document my build of the Popfly2 as a night flyer…which isn’t much different from the stock Popfly2.

The Popfly2 will be a free plan in the May2012 issue of Fly RC magazine. Keith is doing his own build thread of the Popfly2 in the Flying Wings forum. Since I’ll be adding lights and using different gear, I figured that a build thread in this forum wouldn’t be too awfully repetitive.

I began assembly last night and got quite a bit done. Most of the onboard gear that I will be using is still en route, so I had to stop before adding the top wing sheeting. My plan is to use a Rimfire 200 outrunner motor and 3S-500 lipo for power. I’ll decide on a prop once I have the motor in hand and can test a few set-ups.

I'm installing LED strips and will power them with the flight battery. As Keith suggests, I am using Gorilla Glue for most assembly steps. But my foam-safe CA and low-temp glue gun are kept within arm’s reach as well.

Enjoy, and feel free to email me questions,
Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Last edited by mopar_man; Feb 08, 2012 at 10:03 PM.