Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Way off. Spenser Listenby set a record of 468 the broke it with a flight of over 480. For small stuff at low speed SpeedsterDen does some neat flying on the back side of sand dunes in Denmark. He also has a video or two of DSing the drop off on the side of a road. Most of his slow speed DSing is with the Alula.

Listenby manufactures the Kinetic series but an all out DS plane fully equipped is at least a couple of thou and if you make a mistake the crash gives a new meaning to the word total.

Speeds are measured on the upslope against the wind because it's the only place they can be radared. The estimated airspeed on Listenby's fastest run was around 550 mph.

They also turn at about 50 to 70 g and they make a might roar. You can hear the change in noise as they cross the shear line.

If you're skeptical go check out the DS forum. These guys are for real.

Pete

WOW!!!!!! I stand corrected!!! I had NO idea the DS speeds had gotten up soooo high!!!! Seems like only 3-4yrs ago speeds were in the range of 240-260,, but maybe it's been longer. Havnt kept up lately. I'm gona check it out :-)
So I wonder if this little guy could DS??? :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74