Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Airman74
E sailplane thermal hack
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I think micro rc gliders are a great idea. I saw this video and thought to myself about trying something like this.

Guy slope soaring off a building

This video had me think how cool it would be to have a smallest slope contest and oddest slope contest. With the right conditions you should be able to fly off some unusual lift sources.

Then there is artificial slopes like this....

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/airSurfKit/index.htm

I think we're gona find lots an lots of places we never dreamed of to slope soar this little gem!!!! A smallest and or oddest slope soaring contest would be cool!!! All you need is a small knoll or a long tall building with relatively unobstructed space in front with wind blowing directly at face and you've got a mini slope. Or,,,, how bout a mini slope duration contest???
I once briefly held national record for slope duration in open class flying a 106in wingspan scale sailplane similar to the ask. I flew her for 12 hours 35 min in 2001 out on coast at Eureka Calif.
And as for you guys who Wana practice micro thermaling,, I'd suggest the Micro champ, it thermals surprising well!!! Which forbodes REALLY REALLY well for this new micro ASK 21!!! If I can thermal a champ for 45 min,, I should have no trouble getting thermal flights of over an hour with this much more streamlined and efficient sailplane.
Airman74 is online now Find More Posts by Airman74