View Single Post
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell
United States, OR, Blodgett
Joined Apr 2011
415 Posts
First Flight, good news and bad news

Thanks for the thread AJ,
I've been around here since the middle of last summer. I got a Bixler in September with all the parts for the Mods and packed it all away in the back of my bus for my annual trip south to Mexico. I just got to it a couple of weeks ago. The build went ok except for the prop adapter. I couldn't get off the old one to put on the 6" prop.
I had been playing with a gyro on the ailerons for flying on the beach in the wind but decided not to use it until I fly the plane well. I did not check the aileron direction before the first flight so I crashed right away. After I reversed the ailerons she flew great. The first time of flying anything except my 450 heli. I was a happy guy.
That was the good news. Then after about 15 minutes of flight and several beautiful saves the motor quit and she began to smoke. I landed safely and ran over and disconnected the battery. The HK 30 amp ESC was toast.
So it's looking like no more flying until I get back up north the end of March. I was hoping to get some FPV time in before then.
This thing flies nice and smooth.
Thanks again for a place to read all about it.
Jerry
http://crowncoach.clanteam.com
Jerry Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell