Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by DanSavage
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Interesting point of view. So, if you don't make a profit off of it, it's o.k. to cut a kit for someone. I would assume a reasonable hourly rate as well as wood costs & shipping is acceptable.
Not sure in Dan's case.
These days, everything that is a creative work is automatically copyrighted, even if it's not registered with the US Copyright office.

If you're charging money for your work, it's a commercial venture regardless of whether you're making a profit or not.

If you're cutting kits from a copyrighted plan and charging for it, then that's known as willful copyright infringement.

If you're cutting kits from plans that are not registered, then you're liable for up to $30,000 for each kit.

If the copyrighted work is registered with the US Patent and Copyright office, then when you cut a kit as part of your not-profitable commercial venture, you could be fined up to $150,000 per kit.

The plans for my F-106 that LDS obtained from Air Age were printed on three sheets. The first two were used to build the fuselage and wings. The third sheet contained the parts templates. Included on the third sheet immediately below the bill of materials was a short statement that told the modeler how to obtain laser cut parts directly from me. IOW, my name and contact information

When I spoke with Bob, he told me that he didn't know I sold laser cut parts.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage