View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by wizzzer
Competition & Safety Mgr. SBSS
Gilroy, CA
Joined Apr 2003
212 Posts
I think everything went very smoothly for both ALES and TD. I think you could easily move the ALES tapes a little farther north (away from the winches) and add a couple more spots for flights. Our field really is pretty small as compared to most of our sister clubs and I think we are really maximizing our field usage. The only concern I had was the close proximity of the tapes to the winch lines, but there were no incidents.

Pilots flying in both contests - not sure how much that would slow things down since timers are needed for each type of contest. It seems that it takes an additional 5-10 minutes for the pilots/timers to return to their other ship and pair up with perhaps a different timer. We try and finish contest flying by noon so everyone can pack up and get home and before the wind picks up. There is also a consideration for other users of the field (soccer, cricket, baseball). A 12:00 finish gets us off the field by 1 PM. Rich and I agreed on the earlier start format for ALES and we can discuss at the meeting on Feb. 8.

Randy, regarding the use of devices for finding thermals, it would not be fair unless all planes in a given class are equiped with them since the thermals are rarely in the same place for very long. Call me if you want to discuss.
Bob Smith
wizzzer is offline Find More Posts by wizzzer