View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
8,071 Posts
Mike,
Bear in mind that it's a long while since I drew up this one, and my earlier comments about being sure I'd seen drawings, but didn't recall where,
As regards rib spacing, very few, if any, aircraft from the pre 1918 era had evenly spaced ribs. They seemed to have put ribs where needed, and then filled in the spaces. I'm pretty sure I did much the same - knew where tip and rigging point ribs needed to go and filled in the gaps with more ribs. If I wasn't working from said missing drawing.
Much the same is true of fuselage uprights, they're where I felt they needed to be. Once again, they were very seldom equally spaced on full size aircraft.

When choosing your covering, bear in mind the relatively lightweight structure and choose something that doesn't shrink too aggressively. Also, for warping wings, something that doesn't make the structure too rigid. Doped covering, adhering to every rib is likely to result in stiffer wings than covering only adhered around the outside, but you have to adhere it to the under camber.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE