View Single Post
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by sfakias
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Thessaloniki
Joined Jun 2008
584 Posts
Many -many thanks toy you Jhondra for taking the time to write such a long post to explain in detail the steps that should be taken for a successful RTH setup. I will try to put them into practice the next time I am at the field, and I have the feeling that things will be greatly improved.

Just a couple of notes:
1) I am using rudder for turning, not ailerons (but the same principles apply)
2) Indeed by "stable I mean that it wants to gradually pull out of a dive, and generally wanting to self-correct back to level straight flight. Actually, this plane is so stable that some times I just leave the TX on the bonnet of my car for a few minutes and enjoy drinking coffee while watching the plane gently circling 200 or 300 meters above my head! However, you are right that the control surfaces have rather a lot of deflection since I like my planes to be very maneuverable. I give only very slight stick deflections during the servo analysis wizard, but still it is enough to cause tight turns. I suppose I should start by mechanically reducing the throws (at the servo arm holes) in order to tame the flying characteristics, and also provide the OSD with more resolution (and hence accuracy) over the position of the control surfaces.

Once again, thank you very much for your excellent detailed post.

I will keep you gents updated when new results are available.

Best regards.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias