View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by drmgcm
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
Here's a link to a PDF file I found for balancing 3-bladed props. This technique involves sanding the heavy blades - I prefer to use tape on the lighter blades - anyone else have insight on sanding vs tape?

http://www.phprc.net/images/RC_Aero_..._Technique.pdf

Jim
Hi Jim,

The sanding vs tape issue, it's quite a debate on many forums, however on our multicopters which use lightweight Abs props either 2 bladed or 3 bladed, i would never use the sanding method, i would always use the tape method.

You realy don't want to be taking off material off lightweight blades and making them weaker, and to be honest adding tape to the leading edge gives you a stronger blade, even if it's just a little stronger that helps a great deal.

I've seen people just putting tape on the top of the blade, whilst it seems to be good enough for most people, i think you should put it around the leading edge so it covers part of both sides of the blade, that way there will never be a chance of the tape lifting up whilst inflight, and it distributes the weight of the tape evenly on the blade.

Just my two cents from many, many years of rc'ing.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm