View Single Post
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by mag1
Greenville, Wi
Joined Nov 2004
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeveney View Post
Here's one I discovered some time ago; maybe new to some of you.

I've had bad luck with my 'Master Airscrew' balsa stripper when cutting anything but the lightest stock. The blade wanders or slips in it's clamp, giving a terribly inaccurate cut.

Instead use a 'base' piece of 1/8" ply. The blade should be extended enough to poke into the ply a bit. This keeps it from wandering. Then grip the stripper and the ply in one hand, and feed the stock through with your other.

For really tough stock, clamp the stripper to the ply piece as shown. I have a pair of 1" C-clamps that are perfect for the job.

With this setup I can accurately strip stock up to 1/4" thick, even from very dense balsa.

-Matt

That's a good one Matt. I havn't tried it yet. Here is my solution, just finished it, but havn't set it up yet. I need to get the right diamond wheel yet.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=20046

I made it to handle 36" long sheets.

- ok, now I had a chance to try it, i didn't buy the right blades, I think it will work better on thinner stock, I was cutting 3/16" thick, took some time, Also need to set up to use my larger shop vac.

- As to Matt's solution, that works really good. On harder balsa, It didn't work the best for me, but may with more practice.
mag1 is offline Find More Posts by mag1
Last edited by mag1; Jan 06, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added plan's, comments