Thread: Question Double horse 9116 Heli
View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by stormforce
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, Ribble. If something punctures the canopy enough to pierce the li-po bag, you've got about 1 - 5 seconds before the Li-Po bursts into flames and I doubt a layer of heat shrink will protect it any better than the original casing, but if you are going to make your own, then of course use some heatshrink to tidy things up, but as I wrote earlier, I wouldn't recommend making your own from larger capacity ones.

If you are really worried about the Li-Po getting damaged, you can buy hard cased Li-Po batteries for R/C cars and 4WD buggies, there are plenty of them on eBay, but they are a bit more expensive and may not fit properly in your heli, plus they have the added weight of the external case.

If you really want to protect the Li-Po, wrap it in some self-adhesive carbon fibre sheet, it's extremely tough and resilient and will protect it from most damage except transferred shock. It can be obtained in sizes to suit your needs. But it's still, in my opinion, un-neccersary and additional weight.

If you research how a Li-Po is structured during manufacture, you will soon realise that theres not much more can be done to protect them from harm.

The most likely damage you will have when learning to fly is blades hitting the ground and breaking anything connected to it. The reason is as the heli starts to lift off the ground, the "ground effect" will upset it, and there is a good chance on the first one or two lift offs the heli will just lift off the ground and fall on it's side, hitting the ground with it's blades in the process. It's best to apply the throttle in small amounts first off til it starts to spin up then just enough to get the heli to become "light" on it's skids (which should be just over 50% throttle) and starts to jump around a bit, then, give it a quick burst of throttle, not full on, but just a bit more, then as it gets about 2ft off the ground, slowly lower the throttle until the heli stops climbing to obtain a hover, adjust the rudder trim to stop it from spinning. Once it's stopped spinning (it may drift a bit to the side or front or back, don't worry about it for the time being, remember you are learning to "crawl" before you can "walk"), slowly lower the throttle and land, it may not be pretty, but it doesn't have to be at this stage, as long as you are smooth and gentle with the sticks. Keep doing that until your confidence grows and you can do it in your sleep, the use of the controls must become second nature, just like using a combination of the foot throttle and the clutch to take off in a car. Once you've mastered that, then attempt some short trips, like take off, go forward a few feet, bring it to a hover, then land. The rest will come in time, as long as you have the patience, perserverance and dedication.

Mick.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Dec 23, 2011 at 02:40 AM.