Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Pat,

These are great techniques, thanks for posting them in so much detail! I'll be trying the laser technique on my Lancaster, and your rudder setup looks like a great place to start for my rudders too. Please keep posting your techniques!

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Here's how I did the wing tips. Wing tips seem to take a lot of abuse so I added a strip of bamboo around the edge. The bamboo comes from a bamboo blind I found in the home center clearance bin a while back. I now have a lifetime supply of 3mm round sticks.

I made a form from some scrap 1/4" plywood. I printed out the wing tip about 10% undersized to account for spingback. I taped one end of the bamboo dowels to the form and slowly bent them around the form while applying steam from a tea kettle (wear heavy leather gloves!) After the bamboo sticks were bend around the form I taped down the other ends and let them dry over night. When released from the form they will spring back some but the shape is now fixed.

The I cut the wing tips from foam and glued them in place along with a 1/16" balsa tip rib. After rough shaping them, I cut a shallow groove in the foam and about an inch along the leading edge balsa and glued the bamboo in place. When the glue was dry, I did the final shaping of the foam. A little filler here and there and the wing halves will be ready to cover.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503