View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by jgestner
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
I have some S107's which I am repairing and needed some replacement batteries. I ordered these off eBay and they have arrived today - but are marked 180mAh!

I have just fitted one into the standard battery bay and it just fits under the canopy. Charged it up and flew it and it appears to be a really good battery. Bags of power and the first flight was getting on for 5 minutes in 3 bursts. It had discharged to 3.93 volts which is fine for storage.

It also has the overcharge protection board fitted as standard. I reckon that UKP 5.98 for 5 batteries delivered is a good deal even if you have to wait a couple of weeks.
The 180 mAH sounds fine if they aren't much heavier than the originals. The extra zip you mention sounds like weight may not be much of a problem. If you can though, I recommend weighing the old and new to see if you have added or saved a few grams. Additional weight will heat the motors faster and shorten their life.

More important though with those fresh "zippy" batteries is your flight times and the heating/overheating of your main coaxial motors. If you try to push that 5 minute mark too much your next repair will be new motors.

Conventional wisdom around here is 4 to 5 minute flights with cooling rests after flying, before charging and after charging near 10 minutes.

Have fun and if the wait between flights gets to be too much, buy a few more choppers to alternate flights.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner