View Single Post
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by 376782
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme heli View Post
First I would like to thank all those in this and other similar threads for the invaluable info regarding these sweet little units!

Second I would like to share for those interested in perhaps tinkering a wee bit that I have found the voltage threshold for the HP turbine cooling fans by lots of experimenting with various resistors to turn the fans as slow as possible without triping an error.

Using a 2 Watt 10 Ohm resistor spliced into the positive leads of each fan yeilds 5.55V to the fans and with pins jumped for a solid green and ready supply, produces about 1/2 the RPM at full speed as the stock unit is just in standby mode.

The trick I have found though is to leave the pins tripped in the ON position otherwise it will trip an error if just left to sit in standby, as it spins too slow in this mode and sees it as an error.

I have overloaded the unit to 1000W fed by only 120V without issue on my load rail...and a big smile Temps remained very reasonable, only really warming up when fully loaded. I only plan to use the unit mostly for light/med duty in the shop for now, so listeningn to tunes, phone, and hearing myself think is more priority. Next step up in airflow would be 2W 6.2Ohm resistor giving 6.25V to fans still a solid step down from even stock standby mode, might be considered if constantly running at max and in hotter climates.

I wanted quiet, thats what i got, take from it what you will.

Darren
Can you please tell me what you mean by "The trick I have found though is to leave the pins tripped in the ON position otherwise it will trip an error if just left to sit in standby, as it spins too slow in this mode and sees it as an error."
I have several of these supplies and really need to slow down the fans before I can use them. I have tried resistors but do trip out on low fan speed.

Thanks,

Dave
376782 is online now Find More Posts by 376782