View Single Post
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by kingconsulting
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
928 Posts
So a few days ago I got impatient. I made a trip to the LHS and picked up some 3/32 and some more 3/16 balsa.

CFO - "Where you going honey?"
Me - "Oh....to get some more balsa!"
CFO - "Didn't you just order some balsa online?"
Me - "Why yes I did!"
CFO - "hmmmm"

Mental note - Need to be a little more creative on my stories!

So cut out the six ribs with the 3/32 balsa....oh wait I'm building a whole wing huh? Yes I did it again. Had to cut out six more. Cutting with a knife on 3/32 was like a dream compared to the 3/16. Whipped out the rest in no time.

One problem I had was my original rib template was a tad off on the bottom as it was curved a little. When I traced it I just used a ruler to complete that line since it was straight. So I decided to redo the template as I'm saving them for repairs or future builds. So when I cut them out and sanded a tad I realized I got a little carried away sanding the first ones. The photos look worse than it was because they weren't fully sanded yet.

I was going to recut the 3/16 ribs but was told "It's like building a house once it's framed and covered you will never know" I think I like that saying. Once sanded it all worked out and they all ended up actually very close to the original plan.

Next. I need to find a file to work where the spars go and for the leading edge. I had a nice set of jewelers files but no dice, no chicken no rice.

I also need to cut some of the ribs a little deeper for a double spar near the fuselage.

Believe it or not I am actually having fun doing this!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting