View Single Post
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by redlite
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
638 Posts
Thanks, Joe!

Yep, after getting the model, I was surprised I had an A-7 in my hands with a nice F-8 paint job...VMF 312, the 'Checkerboards' out of MCAS El Toro, served combat in VN before handing their F-8E's in for F-4's...well, that's good enough for me!

Tonight was the test flight, but the wind forecast is not too good.

Thanks for the heads up on the elevator incidence problem. I'll trim slightly down elevator from factory mold marks, then. The full flying elevators pay off here...checking if the incidence really is out of wack will be easy.

The wings on this plane are rather small and over weighting them would be easy. The fuse at this scale is 30 inches. Combined with the tiny stock motor/fan, a toss ending with a sight similar to a javlin...if you're lucky...would probably be the result. Even motoring up has to be carefully considered, again due to the small wings. I'm about 70 grams over the 325 allowed. I don't think the stock weight was right either, though, should have read 350 grams flying weight, according to my scales. Regardless, wing loading is at the max end of the scale, so I'll let you guys know the results of the test flight.

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite