Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by Tsavah
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,893 Posts
Vinyl - Can You Get the 3mm Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
I have superimposed the pictures over Pat's plans and I am going to have these printed on self-adhesive (auto type) vinyl, then stick them onto the Depron and then cut out. … this will give a fully pre-finished model once it is assembled. Lockey
The auto and outdoor sign vinyl comes in all sorts of colors and clear, but it also comes in all sorts of thickness. It is heavy stuff, but the 3mm or thinner isn't so bad for planes around 24" wing span. The thin stuff is stretchy, and easy to over stretch when appling. I bought an F-15 kit a while back, but I am having trouble keeping the vinyl stickers attached. I suspect I will have to ensure the surface is very, very flat and free of and bumps and use a spray glue on the foam. It will then be like contact cement, so getting the alignment right the first time may become a challenge. I have been kicking around the idea of printing on the Japanese tissue paper and using the foam safe wood varnish as the glue and moisture resistant coating like others have been doing. It is a tricky business and some printers are a nuisance, but it is also important to use water proof inks. The others tend to run when they get wet. Wish I could remember which thread talked about how to do this.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Nov 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling ...