View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,906 Posts
Discussion
Small Icon A5 from HobbyKing-1.09 meter (NOT Guanli)

Thought it was worth starting a seperate thread for the smaller 1.09 meter version of the 1.8m Icon A5, commonly available from Hobby King.

This thread is NOT about the earlier Guanli Icon A5. It has already been covered in a number of threads. Add in the new Parkzon Icon A5 and modelers now can choose from no less than four Icon models, of about three different sizes.

This is about this 1.09m Icon A5:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17108

I was unable to find a current supplier for the kit alone, so I went ahead and got the PnP version from HK USA.

IMO, this is a MUCH better looking Icon A5 than the Guanli one.

Does not appear to be a great motor choice by Hobby King on the smaller Icon, but I predict the motor wil be useable on something else. Will test before I make the final decision, though.

The good news is that the horrendous set of decals that Hobby King put on the little Icon do come off very cleanly, thank goodness. I think the glossy clear finish applied to the epo foam helped them come off cleanly.

HK and other Asian model vendors do tend to ruin nice models with really ugly decal sets.

I will have to gen up a set of correct Icon decals. Just for fun, though, I think I will do the red trim in blue on this smaller Icon.

I will add the optional flaps. there are no servo pockets premolded bt it will not be a big deal to excavate for the flap servos.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM.