Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Sorry, I saw it and forgot to reply earlier. It's a technically-possible idea, and I designed that into the radio from day 1. A decision to think about going that route is way above my pay grade.

Databases are far more expensive in time and memory!!! You have to add the duration of the normal write stuff (that already takes too long) to the database system's overhead.

It's not even being written to a text file, it's the pure binary data off the air. There's no write, dump, ... sequence - it's a matter of write, write, write... to buffer until sector full then flush to disk, write...to buffer until sector full then flush to disk, ... until allocation unit full then read directory sectors, allocate more AU's to the file and flush the updated directory sectors to disk, then start to write, write, write... data again.

The thing that takes most time, especially with a card that has files on it already, is what happens when an allocation unit needs to be added to the file. Sometimes the file system needs to read (and write) multiple directory sectors, and those take time.

Believe me, there's nobody who wants data logging in the DX8 more than me. If I could have slipped it in unnoticed, I probably would have!

Andy
Write to onboard memory instead of disk ? Or some other media that would be faster and could handle it better. Then download to disk later.

Just thinkin out loud man. Gotta be a way with fewer man days.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow