View Single Post
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:50 PM
scatsob is offline
Find More Posts by scatsob
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
scatsob's Avatar
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
After some initial trouble I finally got a new shaft fitted and the props mounted up to see how it will go together. The shaft is 6mm precision ground tool steel from McMaster Carr and is awesome stuff. It was really easy to work with once I figured out the nuances. I had some early trouble with the diameter of the new shaft being a little too big for the bearings and I ended up pretty much destroying a bearing trying to get it unstuck. After cutting a few more shafts I decided to chuck one up in the drill and spin it using 220 grit sandpaper to reduce the diameter and that did the trick. I only needed to take a couple hundredths off and it worked perfectly. As it sits the shaft can move axially and I will set the distance when I get the 4.5" spinner and I figure out how far apart they need to be. Here are some pics of the unit. It weighs 2lbs as it sits.

Once I get some new bearings from Boca, along with a much needed thrust bearing, i will button it up and get it mounted.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Last edited by scatsob; Nov 04, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote