View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by Ai77
Pilot
Deutschland, RP, Winningen
Joined Oct 2010
32 Posts
A tracker makes good sense if you plan to fly across a wide angular scope. The helical has about 40 deg opening, which makes a wide field at distance, so a tracker becomes more and more inactive (and useless) with distance.
I have a diversity with a simple SPW and a helical pointed into general direction. If the plane comes closer and gets out of the helical field, the SPW has already good signal. For the simple setup i made the SPW stand on a 50cm pole over he helical, on the same tripod about 3m above gnd. Each antenna is directly attached to it's own receiver, without cable.

It gives a huge enhancement to put the antenna and the receiver on top of a high tripod pole, instead of laying on the gnd or a table! The difference is like water and fire.

My "extreme" setup is two tripods with 3m telescopic center pole. Each carries a receiver and helical antenna on top, and are placed about 15m apart. The A/V,RSSI signal and power cables come together at my toolbox that holds diversity controller and monitor.

For antenna tripod i use yellow foldable lamp tripods from the home-improvement shop and extensions, cost about 10 bucks each.

Edit: The video-line is 75 ohm, so a high-quality (multiple shielded) sat antenna cable makes a good and cheap video cable. There is no need to buy specialized expensive cables. Please do not try to use these thin black cables supplied with receivers ... they blur the picture like crap.
Ai77 is offline Find More Posts by Ai77
Last edited by Ai77; Oct 27, 2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: video cable