View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I suppose GWS planes appeal to those who like a good deal (as in "value") and aren't intimidated by quirky builds. You need a little patience building these ARFs, and there will be moments when your best bet is to just walk away for a bit, have a brew and/or a smoke, and stew on it.

More tips: For the smaller GWS parkies (like Formosa and Texan,) HXT-500 servos work great. For the smaller Formosa: I prefer to carve servo pockets in the wings rather than use the stock torque-rod scheme. Mostly, I try to avoid torque-rod ailerons.
I'm willing to bet that I could complete one of those self jigging balsa kits before properly finishing a GWS ARF.

As far as the torque rods go. For the inexpensive materials they are made out of, they work quite well. When done properly there is very little slop in them Both my Formosas used single aileron servos and I was quite happy with the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
If anyone's got clever, simple solutions for GWS landing gear fixes, I'd sure like to see them. LG is the Achilles heel of GWS planes.
What exactly is breaking on them? I've never ripped out one of their black plastic molded LG mounts.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7