Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Yo Teddie...
Not sure I follow ya there, bud. Upwind puts a heavier load on the plane for the prop/motor to pull. &c.
Quote:
'cept that, on the downwind leg (in the strong wind) you gotta ramp up the power to keep it flying. (Lift) But I see where you're coming from. Still, will be interesting to see the data on a chart.
Quote:
Look, I don't wanta go to war or nothin' over this but, this, and "get ground speed out of your head" ..... I don't intend to launch an airplane and just have it hover there in front of me until the battery wears down. I want to fly it thru the sky, and that means moving it over the ground, and that means ground speed is involved. And you can't sit there and tell me when there's wind involved - maybe I should say enough wind - that you don't have to increase power to the motor to overcome the wind. Well, you can tell me that, but I ain't gonna believe it! And when I say 'overcome', YES, you can actually fly it without increasing the motor speed to overcome the wind and just let the wind blow it further & further away but there's gonna be a helluva lot of walking involved to recover it. Me, I don't walk so good & I want to fly the plane back to me.

The bottom line is, flying into the wind (enough wind) WILL require increasing the power to the motor to get the plane back to me, and that will show on the log as increased consumption of power.
Look at it this way. The only way it takes more power is if you throttle up to get back faster. The plane will be flying 20-30mph airspeed. The wind will be 15mph or less. You will not want to fly in 20mph wind or better. (no mater what some claim to have done.) The plane will come back at the same throttle setting you used heading down wind.
The point is flying into the wind doesn't use more power unless you throttle up causing it to use more. You caused the power consumption to increase, not the wind.
If we do go to war on this I want to wear the blue helmet, you can wear the grey. I'll meet you at Gettysburg, PA.
and further more..... What is your first name?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE