View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,113 Posts
Hmmm, looks like I'll have to sharpen my pencil for the weight budget. Mike is right, a 1/24 scale Lancaster will never fly at scale speeds, because 200 mph translates to 12.5 km/h at that scale, and that would be well below the stall speed of anything I could build! I'll do some math over the weekend and see what I can allow for airframe weight.

I've had a look at some nice Depron scale models, including Mike's Canadair Scooper and the aforementioned Sunderland by eflightray, and can feel a pull towards the Dark Side of Depron. To date, I've only used it for lamination forms, but I think I'll seriously consider building at least the wings from the stuff, and perhaps even the fuselage as well. I know this is straying further and further from the traditional confines of previous Fun Builds, but it seems like too much fun to pass up. I've been looking for tutorials or how-to's on building scale models from Depron without much luck, though. If anyone knows where to point me, especially for techniques to build compound curved fuselages, I'd be grateful.

Oh, and I changed the title of my thread...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Last edited by Steve85; Oct 21, 2011 at 01:39 PM.