View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Orvis
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
I installed the E-Flite electric retracts. Some modifications had to be done to the gear bays in order for them to fit.
First, I had to cut out a portion of a bulkhead located inside the gear bays halfway between the retract mounts and the wheel wells in order to allow the retract motor to fit properly.
Second, I had to notch out a larger area to accommodate the loop spring in the strut.
These modifications took all of 2 minutes to complete and the retracts dropped right in.

Next, I trimmed the wheel well inserts and glued them in. To my dismay, has I pushed them in place, the plastic inserts flexed and the paint cracked and flaked away from them. The paint the manufacturer used has no elasticity and is prone to cracking very easily. Being that I plan on repainting the underside anyways, it's no big deal.
To finish up the retracts, I installed the gear bay doors. The instructions does not illustrate how the gear doors are attached, but from their design it looks like they are to be epoxied to the strut wires. However, I used collets slipped over the strut wires and bolted the gear doors to the struts. I find this a more secure way than using epoxy.

I also attached some pictures of the cowl pushed further onto the fuselage. The only big issue I see is the junction between the 2 halves of the air intake on the left side. However, I think it can be sanded and cleaned up to fit better. I still think with the cowl further back the airframe looks better proportioned.
Let me know what you think.

More to follow....

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis