View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Orvis
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Back to the build; last night I was fiddling with the cowl to see if there was any way to remove the large gap caused by the oversized cowl.
I thought about installing the cowl as is and have the gap on the bottom of the plane where it would be harder to see; however, because it is such a large gap, I didn't like the way the front of the plane looked.
I also thought about cutting a slit in the bottom of the cowl, then overlap the the cowl walls at the slit to obtain the right diameter, and then re-fiberglass. Quite honestly, I decided that was just too much work to put into this ARF.
Instead, I realized I could push the cowl back over the fuselage by 1/2 inch where the cross section of the fuselage increases , thus removing the gap between the fuse and the cowl. This method also solved another issue that bothered me. In my opinion, the original ARF's nose looked too long, therefore, by pushing the cowl back 1/2" on the fuse, it looks more "proportioned." The only drawback to this is the overlap in the cowl and the fuse, but in my opinion, it doesn't look too bad.
Pictures to follow....

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Last edited by Orvis; Oct 20, 2011 at 02:25 PM.