View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Steve85
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the interest and input! It turns out that Profili has the ability to generate a NACA airfoil just by inputting its numerical designation. The NACA 23012 tip airfoil was already in Profili's library, and I was able to quickly generate the NACA 23018 root airfoil using this handy feature.

I'm still doing a lot of reading to bone up on foam wing-building techniques, and have yet to decide if I'll cut a foam core with a hot wire, or use Depron and build up a wing like eflightray did for his magnificent Sunderland. I might even try an outer wing panel using each technique to get a better idea of their relative strengths and weights. I'm leaning toward a fiber glassed skin for hangar-rash resistance, but this may be a luxury the weight budget won't be able to afford. The fuselage will be pink (or blue) rigid foam insulation, either carved and sanded or hot wired, with a skin of 3/4 oz glass.

As for markings it's still early days, but it will definitely be a Bomber Command scheme, no doubt from an RCAF squadron in No. 6 Group, and possibly Lancaster Mk X KB726, code letters VR-A, in which P/O Andrew Mynarski won the Victoria Cross.

Ah, it's good to be back...

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85