View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Prof100
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
AJ, I simply do not understand your constant pushing of that MicroDan motor. From your own data you got almost exactly the same power at a given voltage. For the MicroDan you got 305.6 W at 11.25 V against 304.3 W at 11.23 V for the other, both using an APC 6x4. In order to get the higher wattages you had to go to a seven inch prop which won't even fit unless you do some fairly ugly mods to the motor mount. I don't like the looks of the motor mounted out the back of the nacelle.

And the MicroDan costs five times as much! Wow is right!

What happened to the AJ that was so interested in saving all the poor, unsuspecting newbies from spending (or knowing) more than is absolutely necessary? After all, as you said, "this is still just slightly more than a toy". Why put a motor on it that costs more than the whole Bixler ARF?

Gord
Gord,

In my stage of life I won't waste my money on equipment that's let me down.

The Microdan 2505 high KV motor is $55 but has a real warranty. With a APC Sport prop my Skysurfer disappears in a vertical climb beyond what I can see. I have used RCT / Suppo / Grayson / and other distributors 2212-06. I bought 5 of them at $14 each ($56). 4 of the 5 tossed magnets in one or two flights. Warranty was a pain that makes me the final inspector and QC dept for these motors. My experience with them is they are junk. I still have the one good 2212-06 on F22 scratchbuilt prop in the slot foam plane and itís worked fine on 6x4 APC E prop. Sure, I could try to glue the magnets back in but I would rather buy a motor that worked out of the box vs. sorting through cheap junk that is prone to failure.

I have decide cheap is not the best if you count all the costs associated with finding the good one. At least as it applies to the 2212-06 and similar motors.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100