Thread: Discussion What kind of servos are best?
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by pda4you
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I donīt mean which make!
But that is actually a good question to ask.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]I've heard it's best to buy metal gear servos?
Not necessarily. MG servos are very "impact" resistant and strong.
They are good - in some cases where you can handle the weight. They wear out faster and become sloppy faster than most Nylon or Karbonite gear sets. I use them for larger models on rudder (for the tail wheel) or on slope gliders where the surfaces may have impacts or shocks that metal gears help with. On large planes they can be a good idea.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Are the ones from Honk Kong any good?
Not in my experience. I have had some real junk from China. I use name brand servos - to me they are worth every extra penny. Servos are critical!

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]I ask that because the ones you buy here in Europe anyway come from somewhere over there, and just have a fancy label on them! and cost significantly more.
Even though some name brand servos may come from China, Philippines, Malaysia they are generally made to higher standards with better components. They also have far superior service, R&D and testing. You get to pay for that in price - no question.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Anybody know about carbon gear servos?
I use many Hitec servos with their "Karbonite" gear sets and really like them. They are more impact resistant, stronger than reinforced Nylon and wear very well (gear lash stays tight).

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you