Thread: Rave Futaba T8J S-FHSS
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,454 Posts
ltc,
Welcome back to the hobby - it has happened alot in the 30 years You have been out of this sport. When You left the sport FM radios had entered the market to replace AM as main system and then came FM with PCM and now we have 2.4 GHz radios since about 2006 when they started to come on the hobby market. New radios are almost all on 2.4 GHz now (except mostly toy radios that may be on AM or FM).
I'm sure Your old Futaba on 53 MHz could be in service again. What model is it?
It is also possible to install a 2.4 GHz transmitter module in it so You can benefit of that type of system if you want. Just google some and You will get more info. I have myself an old 1975 Pro Line Competition Series 6 ch AM converted to 2.4 GHz with a Futaba TM-7 2.4 Ghz transmitter module - it is done by Radio South (Tony Stillman) now. That way this old radio can be back in light flying service again (i do not dare to fly it on AM today). The radio is also serviced and new transmitter+receiver battery packs are installed. I will use a Futaba 2.4 Ghz S.Bus reciever and some Futaba servos with it that I already have for another modern 2.4 GHz radio I have (a 14MZ). It will cost some of course to get this old Pro Line in flying condition again but since my Pro Line is still in mint condition I wanted it in service again for light occasional flying.
A new entry-mid level radio today do not cost you a month of wages as in the old days. It is so many brands and models to choose among it is not easy to pick one and many cheap Chinese radios is also there but they still need to be FCC approved to be used in Your country of course (here in Europe where I live they must have the CE sticker on them).

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Oct 15, 2011 at 01:38 PM.