View Single Post
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,861 Posts
Hey, there a schooner in my shop!

It's been a busy couple of months, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet, but I did want to get something more done on this model, so...

Around the middle of last month I cut out the keel from 5/16 CDX plywood - same stuff the forms are cut from.

I rigged up the table saw for cutting planking.

A block is clamped at the edge of the table to the left of the blade. This stops the piece to be cut. The finger-board just keeps things against the fence. The stop-block is adjusted to get the thickness of plank you want - then place the finger-board.

After you cut a plank, place the piece against the stop block and move the fence left against it and make the next cut, rinse and repeat.

I don't have a thinner kerf 10" blade. I tried a 7" circular saw blade, but it heated up and warped badly half way through a rip.

The forms are covered with tape so the planking won't get glued to them. The planking will get glued to the keel and to each other.

I'm not to concerned with spieling the planks as the hull will get covered with a layer of glass and paint. The forms will be removed and the inside will be coated with resin.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 08, 2011 at 06:12 PM.