Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:02 PM
Nek
Find More Posts by Nek
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
424 Posts
Well I just finished assembling a quad to test my reflashed 10A RCTimers properly and something went veeeery wrong. First just when I wanted to check motor rotation with no prop ons just giving it a blip of throttle made one of the FETs pop! ESC was still running after wards, so I figured I might as well solder the rest and give it a go. Well it is not pretty at all!!! They barely turn the motors and they get hot so fast.

I have also tried on this quad a power distribution board made from a two layer copper clad pcb. The top traces is pretty much a ground plane, bottom one a power plane. Maybe it is not enough to carry the amps needed by each motor and the reason why it is not working at all?

I know my motors draw something like 12A at full throttle with the props I am using so I knew a 10A esc was asking for trouble but still... I have some 18A lying around and will try them with a regular wire power spider and see if that works. I'll bring the power ditribution PCB back into play once I am sure it is not the culprit!
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek