Thread: Discussion What is cross country soaring?
View Single Post
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by TrekBiker
United States, CA, Diamond Springs
Joined Mar 2004
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer82 View Post
I get that there's all kinds of intricate elements to successful soaring, cross country or not. I think what the OP, and what I am wondering, are what are the basics to it.

I had never heard of it until just browsing through the myriad of forums on RC groups.

Is there a good place to go for an interested party to learn the basics? What's the best landscape? Where do you find a place where you can fly dozens of miles? Is it purely point to point, or do you sometimes do circuits of say 10 miles in length?

Those sorts of noob questions
Probably the best place to learn the basics of XC is this forum right here. There is a lot of good information in these threads. If you are seriously interested you will read thru these threads and make the effort to educate yourself. And there is no better teacher than actually going out on the road. One thing I've noticed is that here on the west coast its been basically the same 10-15 teams for the last 12+ years and the overall skill levels have steadily increased over that time span. And now we have evolved to speed courses using the same scoring as full scale soaring. Teams that in the beginning could barely get off the field and would celebrate a five mile flight as a great success are now flying 20+ miles and are dissappointed if they dont finish the course. It is a somewhat steep learning curve but the rewards are worth it. It's great to see new teams show up like what happened this year at Montague. I hope they will stick with XC and we can maybe grow this sport.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker